Okpebholo Orders Rongtai to Tighten Safety Measures After Workers’ Deaths

Benin City-Edo State Governor, Senator Monday Okpebholo, has directed the management of Rongtai Building Materials Nigeria Ltd. to strengthen safety and security measures at its Utesi facility in Ikpoba-Okha Local Government Area to prevent further loss of lives.

The governor gave the directive on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, during a visit to the company to assess the circumstances surrounding recent incidents at the facility.

Okpebholo described the deaths of workers at the company as tragic and condemned the subsequent destruction of part of the facility by workers, relatives and some youths from the host community.

Five workers reportedly died at the company last month, with some of the fatalities linked to electrocution and a fall from a crane. The incidents reportedly triggered protests during which more than 20 vehicles and motorcycles, as well as part of the company’s property, were destroyed following the death of a forklift operator.

“What happened here came to me as sad news, and the incident is condemnable. An establishment of this nature should not be attacked like this,” the governor said.

He urged the management to prioritise the safety and welfare of its workforce, stressing that adequate security and emergency-response facilities should be provided within the premises.

“Security and safety measures should be put in place. If you had a clinic here, what happened would not have happened,” Okpebholo said.

The governor expressed satisfaction with the company’s efforts to establish a clinic, procure an ambulance and recruit medical personnel, describing the measures as necessary given the size of its workforce.

He also urged the company to strengthen its corporate social responsibility initiatives and address infrastructure challenges within its premises.

“Your organisation should carry out its corporate social responsibility. There should be a good road within the premises where you carry out your business,” he said.

Okpebholo noted that improving access roads would not only benefit workers and members of the host community but could also enhance security around the facility.

“As a government, we are sorry for the loss of lives and property. I am glad that you have over 8,000 workers here, and I believe you will employ more,” he added.

The governor further disclosed that he had discussed with the Edo State Commissioner of Police, Patrick Daaor, the establishment of a police post at the company, with accommodation for officers.

“Let it be like a semi-barracks to protect the area because we have a whole community here. Having 8,000 workers here is no joke,” Okpebholo said.

Speaking on behalf of Rongtai, Huang Shibin thanked the governor for visiting the facility and seeking first-hand information about the incidents.

Huang said the company had been fulfilling its corporate social responsibility obligations but alleged that some community elders had received substantial sums from the company without ensuring that the benefits reached other members of the community.

He appealed to the state government to assist in improving security around the company and create a conducive environment for its operations.

The governor was accompanied by the Commissioner for Public Safety and Security, Festus Ebea; Commissioner for Labour and Productivity, Godwin Eshieshi; Edo State Deputy Chairman of the All Progressives Congress, Sylvester Aigboboh; Commissioner of Police, Patrick Daaor; and other senior government officials.

— Dr. Patrick Akhere Ebojele, Chief Press Secretary to Governor Monday Okpebholo, August 19, 2026.

Leave comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *.